On November 21, 2022, we held a POWERFUL Town Hall, March and Rally in Albany to demand the passage of Statewide Right to Counsel (A7570/S6678) and justice for tenants in Albany Civil Court! More than 100 tenants--from Long Island, New York City, Westchester, Rochester and more--gathered in Albany to kick off our coalition's 2023 campaign to pass and fully fund Statewide Right to Counsel in the FY 2024 state budget.
After sharing a community meal at the Westminster Presbyterian Church in Albany, RTC organizers led a teach-in and agitation training, followed by a march and rally to Albany Civil Court. At the court, Albany tenants, organizers and Common Council Members spoke out on how Albany Civil Court churns out evictions and fails to protect tenants' rights. Tenants from across NYS stood in solidarity with Albany tenants to demand that Albany city and county work together to increase resource for tenants, and build out the infrastructure to implement a Right to Counsel for ALL!
Missed the March and Rally? You can watch the recorded livestream on Facebook! You can also download materials from the Town Hall below.
- Press Release: Coalition Rallies to Highlight Injustices in Albany Civil Court and Demand Passage of Statewide Right to Counsel Legislation!
- Coverage in Times Union: "Organizers rally in Albany for eviction representation."
- Legislation Two-Pager: What is statewide Right to Counsel and how would it work? (English | Español)
- 2-pager: FY2024 Statewide Right to Counsel budget proposal
- Fact Sheet: Why Statewide Right to Counsel Must Cover ALL Tenants
- Fact Sheet: The Potential Benefits and Estimated Cost of an Eviction Right to Counsel Outside of New York City
- Fact Sheet: How would NYC tenants benefit from statewide Right to Counsel?
Fact Sheet: NYS Eviction Crisis is a Racial, Economic & Gender Injustice!
What's next? TAKE ACTION!
There are nearly 270,000 active eviction cases in New York State, and each of these represents a New Yorker at risk of displacement and homelessness. Now is the time to enact permanent solutions that strengthen tenants’ rights and empower tenants to fight for their homes – Passing statewide Right to Counsel (A07570 / S06678) would do just that! We need NYS leadership and our elected officials to hear our demand loud and clear! Use this easy tool to call NYS leadership and your State Assembly Member and Senator TODAY and demand they pass and fully fund Statewide Right to Counsel in the FY 2024 budget!
When we fight, we win!