We are looking for a communications intern to support the work of the Right to Counsel NYC Coalition and our Housing Courts Must Change! Campaign.
The Right to Counsel NYC Coalition (RTCNYC) is a tenant-led coalition that formed in 2014 to change Housing Courts, prevent displacement, and stop the eviction crisis that threatens our families, our homes, and our neighborhoods. RTCNYC is made up of tenants, organizers, advocates, legal services organizations and more! In 2017, after a three-year grassroots campaign, the Coalition won the Right to Counsel, making New York the first city in the country to establish a Right to Counsel for low-income tenants facing eviction.
The Housing Courts Must Change! (HCMC) Campaign is a statewide campaign launched by RTCNYC in 2020 to transform the courts from an “eviction machine” to a place that holds landlords accountable, upholds tenants’ rights, and enables tenants to remain in their homes. Our demands, during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond, include slowing down eviction cases and expanding Right to Counsel across the state, so ALL tenants have and know about their rights and are emboldened to organize and fight to stop evictions.
- Create graphics for our campaign materials and to include in our social media posts.
- Assist with creating social media toolkits.
- Help grow our social media presence: assist with posting on our Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages; re-Tweet posts from allies and supporters and help build our followers.
- Contact reporters and assignment desks about stories.
- Help build our press contacts and update our press lists: connect with reporters about our work; research additional media outlets and add appropriate press contacts to our list.
- Follow and interact with relevant reporters on Twitter.
- Update our databases and email lists.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Interest and commitment to tenants’ rights, tenant organizing, and social justice.
- Experience creating graphics using Canva, Adobe photoshop, or other programs.
- Experience managing Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts.
- Strong writing skills.
- Organized and pays close attention to detail.
- Flexible, and able to work well both independently and in a group.
- Knowledge of Google Suite and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with press (e.g. outreach, building relationships with reporters, etc.) is a plus.
DETAILS: This is an unpaid internship, but provides a hands-on learning experience in the communications, campaign, and coalition work happening within the tenant movement in NYC and across the state. Start and end dates, as well as the days and times are flexible. Ideally, we are looking for an intern who can work 5-10 hours per week. All work is remote.
TO APPLY: Please email Malika Conner at [email protected] with your resume and a brief cover letter with “Communications Intern” in the subject line.