When we won RTC in NYC, we had no idea it would spark a movement across the country. We believe that your fight is our fight and all our fights impact each other. If you win RTC where you are, our right becomes harder to take away. So we are in the fight with you!
We are also committed to developing a set of principles for what RTC means both in terms of the legislation and in terms of building the movement to end evictions.
Here are a few resources to support campaigns across the country:
- RTC National Map- click to view an interactive map and learn more about RTC organizing in different locations, including stories about inspiring victories - when we fight, we win! Map by Madeline Blount, Manon Vergerio, and the Anti-Eviction Mapping Project.
- If you are organizing in your city, county, or state - add your story to the map!
- RTC Campaign Toolkit, which we developed with the help of Take Root Justice, tells the story of how we won and provides tools, templates and activities for organizers in other cities to use in their campaigns. Watch this webinar for an overview of what's in the toolkit and how to use it.
- National Organizing Convening: In November 2021, we held a 3 day convening on organizing for RTC with over 100 tenants, organizers, lawyers and advocates from over 40 regions and over 65 organizations. The convening focused on deepening our learning by sharing lessons learned from cities that won RTC, digging into the struggles and opportunities around implementation, and learning about efforts across the country. See videos and other resources from the convening:
-Check out this awesome video that summarizes the lessons learned from the convening,
-read our blog and
-For notes and other materials, email us: [email protected].
- NEW REPORT: Organizing is Different Now: How the Right to Counsel Strengthens the Tenant Movement in New York City. This report, created in collaboration with our partners at TakeRoot Justice is the culmination of a series of focus groups with organizers and tenants across the city to understand how RTC impacts the organizing landscape in NYC. The powerful results, rooted in tenant testimony and experience, show that RTC strengthens the organizing movement.
- Watch and share the documentary about our campaign, Our Rights! Our Power! The Right To Counsel (RTC) Campaign To Fight Evictions In NYC! The documentary is 50 minutes with Spanish subtitles and Closed Captions.
- See a set of Key Principles for RTC legislation to help define what a powerful RTC can look like.
- Over the course of the spring of 2021, together with the the National Coalition for a Civil Right to Counsel (NCCRC), we hosted five webinar sessions to explore the ever-expanding movement for the right to counsel for tenants facing eviction. For the series, we wanted to review what’s worked, what hasn’t, and how we can keep this movement growing. We heard from folks in Baltimore, San Francisco, NYC, and Cleveland and held a broad overview session. There was a ton of information and over the summer we pulled out many of the lessons learned from those sessions. Check out the Lessons from Four Cities Fighting to Stop Evictions with Right to Counsel, a document which outlines lessons on a variety of topics: organizing, campaign beginnings and strategies, changing the landlord-tenant power imbalance, and much more (including a thorough resource list). We hope it's useful!
Don't hesitate to reach out to ask questions, share stories, talk through challenges, etc.