On August 5th we gathered to celebrate our work, recognize our collective strength, and build community with each other. It was so great to see so many of you in-person! ICYMI check out these photos from the event:
We had a great time reflecting on our work, learning about the statewide Right to Counsel legislation, and getting fired up for the work ahead!
As you may know, the US Supreme Court recently issued an injunction against New York’s eviction moratorium, immediately suspending those protections. This means that hundreds of thousands of eviction cases in Housing Courts across the state can now move forward. It has never been more clear that ensuring Right to Counsel for ALL tenants across NY state is an absolute must. We need the legislature to act NOW and enact long term solutions to protect tenants rights and their homes.
Our goal is to secure 32 senate cosponsors and 75 assembly cosponsors on our statewide Right to Counsel legislation before the end of September, and we need your support to make that happen.
Help us continue to build support for Right to Counsel!
Call your Assembly Members and Senators TODAY and make sure they cosponsor this crucial legislation!
And invite your friends and family to call their legislators too!
Statewide Right to Counsel would guarantee tenants across New York State the right to a lawyer when facing an eviction: ALL tenants, ALL cases, in every part of New York would have the Right to Counsel! For more materials and resources, go to www.righttocounselnyc.org/statewidertc.
- Download this handout: Are your state legislators cosponsoring statewide Right to Counsel? (Bilingual in English and Spanish)
- Learn about the Housing Courts Must Change! Campaign
- Statewide RTC legislation: Senate (S06678A) | Assembly (A07570)
- Statewide RTC 2-pager in English and Spanish
- Factsheet: How would NYC tenants benefit from statewide Right to Counsel? (Bilingual in English and Spanish)
- Statewide RTC Endorsement Form
When we fight, we win!