We are excited to announce the launch of a new website, in collaboration with Housing Justice for All and JustFix.nyc!
On December 28, 2020, New York tenants won new eviction protections with the passage of the COVID-19 Emergency Eviction and Foreclosure Prevention Act. The new law stops almost all evictions, eviction proceedings, and new cases until February 26th. Also, if you have been financially impacted by COVID-19 in any way or if moving would pose a health risk to you or your family, you can delay your eviction until at least May 1st, by filling out a hardship declaration form and submitting it to your landlord, the court or both. This new website, helps tenants do just that!
Our website, EvictionFreeNY.org, enables tenants to submit their hardship declaration forms online and in an accessible, easy to use format and ensures that more tenants can take full advantage of the temporary protections provided by the new law.
This tool also:
- Automatically fills in the landlord's information based on the address tenants provide (only for tenants who live in NYC)
- Sends the form by email to the courts and the landlord.
- Sends the form by USPS Certified Mail to the landlord (for free).
- Provides the tenant with a cover page and confirmation email indicating when the form was generated and to whom/where the form was sent (landlord and/or courts).
- Provides tenants with a copy of their completed form that they can download.
Tenants can also use the website to connect with organizing groups across the state and learn how to get involved in our campaigns to #StopEvictions and #CancelRent!
For more information on the new eviction protections law, check out our FAQ page.
Evictions are cruel, inhumane, and VIOLENT and we must ensure that no one is evicted, especially during a pandemic. The new eviction protections are powerful, but they are not enough! We must continue to organize to realize an #EvictionFreeNY.
When we fight, we win!