TO APPLY: Email Susanna Blankley, Coalition Coordinator; email@example.com with a resume and statement of interest.
OVERVIEW OF THE RIGHT TO COUNSEL NYC COALITION: The Right to Counsel NYC Coalition led the fight to make it a right to have a lawyer if you face an eviction in NYC. After a three-year, tenant-led campaign, we passed the Right to Counsel law in August 2017, making NYC the first in the nation to guarantee this right. We continue to organize for a just implementation and expansion of the law. Our coalition is made up of tenants, tenant organizers, legal service organizations, academics, and more. We are seeking an Event Planning Intern to join our talented team, to help coordinate and plan two critical upcoming events.
Upcoming Events to Help Coordinate:
- For the last two years, we’ve been working on a Documentary about the campaign and our work, which is in its final stages and we are planning to premiere at the end of March. We need support to help plan the Premiere of the RTCNYC Documentary!
- We are working on passing two pieces of legislation to expand and strengthen Right to Counsel, and expect to have a Hearing on the bills in February!
- We are potentially planning a strategic convening for organizers and tenant leaders across the country who are working on campaigns for Right to Counsel.
RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
Event Coordination, Planning and Outreach:
- Creating outreach and promotional materials,
- Conducting outreach to institutional partners and allies
- Coordinating volunteer roles and responsibilities;
- Creating Social media materials and a comprehensive plan
- and much more!
- Some general administrative work and data entry as needed
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION & SKILLS REQUIRED: A passion for social justice and social change; experience with event planning; attention to detail; experience with social media; willingness to learn; work well individually and as a group; dynamic, honest, flexible, hardworking and fun!
EXPECTATIONS: This is an unpaid internship, but provides hands-on learning of the communications, campaign, and coalition work happening within NYC’s tenant movement. Start and end dates, as well as the days and times are flexible. Ideally, we are looking for someone who can commit 5-10 hours a week; Remote work is possible, but we would prefer someone who is willing to come to our office in downtown Manhattan.