All COVID-19 resources are created in partnership with our allies at Housing Justice For All.
EVICTION PROTECTIONS DURING COVID: KNOW YOUR RIGHTS
On December 28, 2020, NY State passed the Covid-19 Emergency Eviction and Foreclosure Act, allowing tenants to pause their cases and their evictions until August 31, 2021, if they file a hardship declaration. Please read our FAQ for more information about your rights:
We will be fighting for the moratorium to last as long as the public health crisis lasts!
If you are unable to pay rent during the COVID-19 crisis, you are not alone. Millions of people can’t pay rent right now. Learn more about what to do if you can't pay:
We believe that rent strikes are powerful tools when they are organized, but that they are not an end in and of themselves. We created this toolkit as a guide and source of resources to help folks conduct a rent strike in an organized and more powerful way.
- Housing Court Must Change! Our Demands During COVID-19 and Beyond!
- Our Demand for Right to Counsel for All Tenants Across NY State!
- Our Demands to Cancel Rent and Reclaim Our Homes: English | Spanish
- Go To WWW.EVICTIONFREENY.ORG to delay your eviction!
- A Know Your Rights FAQ on Online Rent Payments: English | Spanish
- 7 Steps to Organize Your Building, A Graphic Illustration: English
- List of Tenant Organizing Groups Across NY State: English | Spanish
- Landlord Tactics Against Tenants During COVID-19: Know Your Rights! English| Spanish
- COVID-19 Rent Strike Legal Support Guide: English
- Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP):
RENTAL ASSISTANCE APPLICATION HOTLINE: 1-844-NY1-RENT (1-844-691-7368)
List of what you need to apply
Video on how to apply
You can also always call the Housing Court Answers hotline at 212-962-4795 with any questions.