WE ARE BUILDING TENANT POWER TO ENSURE NY EMERGES FROM COVID-19 MORE JUST THAN BEFORE
WATCH: Powerful Video About Our Campaign to Cancel Rent
COVID-19 is not the first public health crisis, nor will it be the last. We need to invest in housing for people, not for profit. We are calling on Governor Cuomo and the NY State Legislature to pass 3 critical bills:
#1: Emergency Housing Stability and Displacement Prevention Act (Myrie S8667/Reyes A10827). This bill extends the Universal Eviction Moratorium for 1 year.
#2: Rent and Mortgage Cancellation Act of 2020 (Salazar S08802/Niou A10826). This bill cancels rent for the duration of the public health crisis, plus 90 days, freezes all rents and gives every tenant in New York the right to renew their lease. It also provides for landlord hardship.
#3: Housing Access Voucher Program (Kavanagh 7628A /Cymbrowitz A9657A). This bill provides vouchers to rehouse New Yorkers experiencing homelessness.
More resources about our platform:
- Read our full list of demands in English or Spanish.
- Read our Frequently Asked Questions about the demands, y aquí en Español.
- Check out our memo on the Census Data, which clearly shows a need to #CancelRent!
Working people across New York State are facing lay-offs and struggling to pay rent and buy basic necessities. This problem will not disappear once the threat of COVID-19 has passed, and the eviction moratorium is lifted. We need real solutions that will help keep New Yorkers in their homes! Visit our Take Action page for all the ways you can get involved in this campaign!
As tenants across the state are facing rent demands, many have been asking us for support in going on rent strike. We believe that rent strikes are powerful tools when they are organized, but that they are not an end in and of themselves.
While we are working on fostering a large-scale, coordinated rent strike, we know that many tenants won’t be able to organize their buildings because of physical distancing limitations, or will have concerns and doubts about going on rent strike for the first time. We also know that bold actions invoke increased risk.
More than 50 buildings, made up of 1,000 tenants went on rent strike on May 1. Meanwhile, more than 14,000 tenants have signed our Can't Pay Pledge as part of a mass non-compliance action. Learn more and sign the pledge here.
- Extend the Universal Eviction Moratorium
- Ensure Everyone Facing Eviction Has and Knows About the Right to Counsel
- Slow Down Eviction Cases
- Hold Landlords Accountable
- Prioritize Health, Safety, and Accessibility
The physical, mental, emotional, and financial impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic are still very much upon us. It's unthinkable to open courts and evict families!
WE WON A EVICTION MORATORIUM FOR NY STATE
As the COVID-19 public health crisis began to hit NYC, we immediately went to work to ensure that New Yorkers would not face eviction nor be forced to continue to gather in the city's housing courts to defend their homes. We delivered a letter to Mayor de Blasio that more than 100 organizations signed on to and worked with our partners to garner more than 16,000 petition signatures to Governor Cuomo. In less than a week, we won an eviction moratorium for New York State tenants, residential and commercial. Housing courts across the state are effectively closed, with exceptions for illegal lockouts, serious housing code violations, and repair orders. Tenants can still get needed repairs and back into their apartments if they are locked out, but landlords can't evict. This moratorium is in effect until at least October 1, 2020.
Please read our Eviction Moratorium FAQ that should answer all of your questions about how the eviction moratorium works! Our FAQ is available in various languages:
Spanish: Aquí para Español
Russian: кликните сюда для русского языка
Yiddish: דרוקט דא פאר אידיש
Creole: klike isit pou kreyòl
You can also always call the Housing Court Answers hotline at 212-962-4795 with any questions.
WE ARE CREATING TENANT ORGANIZING RESOURCES
We are creating tenant organizing resources in partnership with our allies at Housing Justice for All.
List of Resources:
- Rent Strike Toolkit: English | Spanish
- 7 Steps to Organize Your Building, A Graphic Illustration: English
- FAQ: What to Do if I Can't Pay Rent Because of COVID-19: English | Spanish
- FAQ: Eviction Moratorium: English | Spanish | Chinese | Russian | Yiddish | Haitian Kreyol
- Additional Info on the Moratorium, Pre-Covid Cases, and Court Openings: English | Spanish
- Online Rent Payments-Know Your Rights: English| Spanish
- List of Tenant Organizing Groups Across NY State: English | Spanish
- COVID-19 Rent Strike Legal Support Guide: English
- You can also always call the Housing Court Answers hotline at 212-962-4795 with any questions.
- Our Demands to Cancel Rent and Reclaim Our Homes: English | Spanish
- Housing Court Must Change! Our Demands During COVID-19 and Beyond! English | Spanish
Check out this awesome map that tracks eviction moratoriums across the country, by the Anti-Eviction Mapping Project!
There should be moratoriums everywhere! Feel free to email us at email@example.com if you want to learn more about how we won in NY!