WE ARE BUILDING TENANT POWER
DURING COVID-19 + BEYOND
EVICTION PROTECTIONS DURING COVID
For close to two years, the tenant movement has stopped almost all evictions across NY State!
On January 15, 2022, the Governor and State Legislature failed NY tenants and let the eviction protections expire. You still have rights: FIGHT TO STAY! READ OUR FULL FAQ ABOUT YOUR RIGHTS!
- Extend the Universal Eviction Moratorium
- Ensure Everyone Facing Eviction Has and Knows About the Right to Counsel
- Slow Down Eviction Cases
- Hold Landlords Accountable
- Prioritize Health, Safety, and Accessibility
As tenants across the state are facing rent demands, many have been asking us for support in going on rent strike. We believe that rent strikes are powerful tools when they are organized, but that they are not an end in and of themselves.
While we are working on fostering a large-scale, coordinated rent strike, we know that many tenants won’t be able to organize their buildings because of physical distancing limitations, or will have concerns and doubts about going on rent strike for the first time. We also know that bold actions invoke increased risk.
More than 50 buildings, made up of 1,000 tenants went on rent strike on May 1. Many of them are still going strong!
During COVID-19, we knew that it wasn't our first public health crisis, nor will it be the last. We also knew that our longterm position that evictions are violent was gaining traction. Eviction moratoriums we'd been calling for before COVID were now popular AND a reality. We fought hard to shift the narrative and to transform our system of housing so that housing would be for people, not profit. To do this we worked to advance two critical pieces of legislation: a TRUE, UNIVERSAL eviction moratorium and to CANCEL RENT for all NY tenants. Read more about the bills here. The NY State Legislature unfortunately failed to meet the scale of the crisis and instead settled for temporary relief and reliance on the federal funding. See our full statement here. While we lost Cancel Rent this round, there are powerful tenant protections tied to rent relief thanks to the work of the tenant movement and more tenants than ever before our engaged in the fight. We will continue to find for an #EVICTIONFREENY!
More resources about our work to Cancel Rent and Stop Evictions During COVID:
- Our Statement on the State Budget
- Read our Press Release on How to Use Federal Funds to Cancel Rent
- Check out our memo on the Census Data, which clearly shows a need to #CancelRent!
- Read our Cancel Rent Fact Sheet.
- WATCH: Powerful Video About Our Campaign to Cancel Rent
- Read our Frequently Asked Questions about the demands, y aquí en Español.
TENANT ORGANIZING RESOURCES
- KYR Guide on the Courts, New Eviction Cases, Pending Eviction Cases + More: English | Spanish
- Evictions During COVID: Know Your Rights: English | Spanish
- Rent Strike Toolkit: English | Spanish
- 7 Steps to Organize Your Building, A Graphic Illustration: English
- Online Rent Payments-Know Your Rights: English| Spanish
- List of Tenant Organizing Groups Across NY State: English | Spanish
- COVID-19 Rent Strike Legal Support Guide: English
- Housing Court Must Change! Our Demands During COVID-19 and Beyond!
- You can also always call the Housing Court Answers hotline at 212-962-4795 with any questions.